Are you tired of that old room or do you need to update your whole house? Are you in the process of building your dream home? If so, then we’ve got some great ideas to help you decorate it like a pro. Of course, if you can afford to hire an interior decorator, they can take a lot of the guesswork out for you. Even hiring one for just a couple hours of consultation will help you put together a plan that can sometimes seem overwhelming. It will be well worth your time and money! But, if you’re venturing out on your own and want to decorate like a pro, here are a few simple tips that will help you get the job done.
1) First of all, begin with a vision. What do you want the room to look like and feel like? If you’re drawing a blank here and need some inspiration, go to the computer. There are so many designs to see on places like Houzz or Pinterest. Find pictures that have the color, style and feel you want for the space you’re decorating.
2) Keep your family’s lifestyle in mind when choosing your design. Are you comfy and casual or traditional and formal? While white may look great, is it functional for your family. If you have pets, try a stain-guarded or pet-protect carpet that can be bound into a rug. There are so many new designs and colors. This also allows you to make it your own size, which is great for odd-shaped rooms!
3) Simplify. Get rid of any clutter that may take away from the design of your new space. Use baskets and functional pieces that can hide things you need but don’t necessarily want laying around.
4) Consider your space. Take into consideration the size of the walls, windows and ceiling height. If you have higher ceilings, you’ll want to use bigger pieces, but if you have smaller spaces, you’ll want to make sure that amazing piece of furniture doesn’t over power your room.
5) Less is more. With today’s designs, you’ll find less little nick-nacks everywhere and bigger bolder pieces. You don’t have to eliminate all of the smaller things, but make sure they fit the space. For instance, stack a couple of books together and place a smaller item on top.
6) Measure first. Make sure to measure your space before you make any purchases especially when it comes to rugs and furniture. Knowing what you have to work with, will eliminate the headache of having to return things that don’t fit.
7) Paint. Painting is an easy way to change the feel and mood of a room very inexpensively. And, a fresh coat of paint will make it feel new again.
8) Add a pop of color. If you’ve chosen a monochromatic or neutral design, throw in a pop of color with a pillow or unique accent piece. If you keep your overall design fairly neutral, you can easily and inexpensively change your look by changing pillows and small pieces… this is great for seasonal changes!
9) Mix it up. Don’t be afraid to mix and match styles, textures and designs. The new rule in decorating… there are no rules. Do what looks good and feels good to you. Rustic and industrial go great with contemporary and classic. If you put it together and you don’t like it, change it up, move it around. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find what works.
10)Lastly, layer it and set the mood. Layer the lighting in your room by selecting floor lamps and table lamps, even hang a chandelier in the corner for an elegant effect. Lighting adds ambience to your space and creates an atmosphere that is warm and inviting.
Decorating like a pro can be easily achieved with a little time, effort and a good plan. So, get out your paintbrush and measuring tape and have some fun. Express yourself and create a space that everyone will love!
For questions about this article or our interior decorating services, come see us at Haley’s!